Advancing Toward College and Career Readiness
ABEC annually recognizes those schools that are advancing their students toward college and career readiness (CCR) more rapidly than schools of like demographics are being recognized by ABEC. The National Center for Educational Achievement (NCEA), a department of ACT, Inc., in partnership with the Arizona Department of Education (ADE), identifies those elementary, middle and high schools in Arizona that have consistently outperformed their peers with similar student populations over a three-year period.
Schools recognized by ABEC fall into one of two categories:
- Arizona Higher Performing Schools - those that are advancing their students toward CCR in all grades tested in ONE OR MORE content area, and
- Arizona All Subject Higher Performing Schools - those that are advancing their students in all grades and ALL CONTENT AREAS TESTED.
All Higher Performing schools are being celebrated by ABEC, and the All Subject Higher Performing Schools receive special recognition.
NCEA identified the Higher Performing Schools based on one or both of two measures:
1) consistent improvement in student achievement from previous years (growth), and/or
2) for those schools at the top of the performance spectrum on AIMS, absolute student achievement.
ABEC undertook this project as a way to:
- Raise public awareness about the difference between "meets expectations" as defined by Arizona AIMS and the level of performance that will be needed for college and career readiness.
- Advocate the need for systemic alignment toward higher standards in order to prepare for the Common Core Standards and Assessments.
- Identify and promote best practices at work in Higher Performing schools.
- Identify tools to assist with development of best practices, including effective school-business partnerships that increase student achievement.
As a next step, NCEA will work with ADE to do an analysis of those schools that have outperformed their peers to identify the practices at the classroom, school and district that have enabled that success.
2012 NCEA ARIZONA ALL SUBJECT HIGHER PERFORMING SCHOOLS
CONGRATULATIONS to the 2012 Arizona All Subject Higher Performing Schools:
- Altadena Middle School (Kyrene SD)
- Arizona Agribusiness & Equine Center - South Mountain Campus
- Desert Vista High School (Tempe Union HSD)
- Grayhawk Elementary School (Paradise Valley USD)
- Griffith Elementary School (Balsz Elementary SD)
- Madison Simis Elementary School (Madison Elementary SD)
- Mountain View Elementary School (Humboldt Unified SD)
- Pima Elementary School (Scottsdale Unified SD)
- University High School (Tucson Unified School District)
2011 NCEA ARIZONA ALL SUBJECT HIGHER PERFORMING SCHOOLS
ABEC congratulates the 2011 NCEA Arizona All Subject Higher Performing Schools:
Alhambra Elementary School District
- Granada Primary School
- James W. Rice Primary School
- Sevilla Primary School
- Westwood Primary School
Crane Elementary School District
- H. L. Suverkrup Elementary School
Ganado Unified School District
- Ganado Primary School
Glendale Union High School District
- Moon Valley High School
- Sunnyslope High School
- Washington High School
Mary Ellen Halvorson Educational Foundation
- Tri-City College Prep High School
Paradise Valley Unified School District
- Grayhawk Elementary School
Scottsdale Unified School District
- Pima Elementary School
Tucson Unified School District
- University High School
NCEA began identifying Higher Performing Schools in 1998. The organization continues to annually release these lists as well as College and Career Readiness Charts for every public school in Arizona.
To view the entire list of all 2011 NCEA Higher Performing Schools in Arizona, click here.